Modern Slavery Statement 2020/21
This statement is made pursuant to Section 54(1), Part 6 of the Modern Slavery Act 2015. QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited is deemed to be a commercial organisation as defined by The Modern Slavery Act 2015.
Modern slavery is a crime and a violation of fundamental human rights. We have a zero tolerance approach to modern slavery and we are committed to acting ethically and with integrity in all our business dealings and relationships and to implementing and enforcing effective systems and controls to ensure modern slavery is not taking place anywhere in our own business or in any of our supply chains.
2. Organisation structure
QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited is a leading provider of recruitment and enrolment services, analytics, and insight to the global higher education sector, whose mission is to enable motivated people anywhere in the world to fulfil their potential through educational achievement, international mobility, and career development.
QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited is the parent company of the following subsidiaries; QS Asia Quacquarelli Symonds Pte, QS Quacquarelli Symonds India Pvt Limited, QS France SARL, QS Enrolment Solutions Limited; QS Enrolment Solutions (Australia) Pty Limited, QS Solutions Sdn. Bhd., QS Unisolution Limited, QS Unisolution GmbH, QS Eastern Europe SRL, QS Quacquarelli Symonds (USA) Ltd. It also has a joint venture with the ERA foundation called QS-ERA India Private Limited.
3. Our business is organised into eleven business and functional areas:
- QS Digital & Events – delivers recruitment events worldwide to connect potential students with institutions, and runs websites to provide students with information about where to study.
- QS Unisolution – provides technology solutions to help institutions manage international mobility, partnerships, and student enrolment.
- QS Intelligence Unit – QS’s research and professional services division, has responsibility for compiling the QS World University Rankings, and provides universities with analysis and insight, along with publications and conferences to support an institutions brand and reputation.
- QS Enrolment Solutions – provides enquiry, admissions and enrolment services and sustainable recruitment strategies on behalf of institutions.
- Technology (IT) – is responsible for the IT backbone which supports business delivery.
- Finance – encompasses financial planning and accounting, processing, procurement, payroll, and legal & compliance.
- Human Resources – includes HR admin & transactional, recruitment, HR business partnering, and talent & learning.
- Workplace – facilities and building management.
- PR – press and public relations, and internal communications.
- B2B – Business to business marketing.
- Strategy & Management – group strategy and leadership.
4. Our supply chains
Our supply chain network is largely service driven. The services provided by our suppliers include managed IT services, travel, venue hire, and contractors, as well as support supply chains incorporating IT equipment, and facilities management.
5. Our policies on slavery and human trafficking
We are committed to ensuring that the risk of modern slavery and human trafficking occurring within our supply chains, or any part of our business, is minimised.
We will not knowingly conduct business with anyone engaged in modern slavery or human trafficking or knowingly permit such conduct to be carried out in any of our supply chains. Our contracts with suppliers and clients are being updated to include anti-slavery and anti-human trafficking provisions to reflect this zero-tolerance position.
6. Our people
Our staff are expected to work in line with our core values and principles. We have a variety of supporting documentation to guide employees on how to work in an honest and ethical manner.
Improving staff and management awareness of modern slavery risks is necessary to ensure that we are alert to the possibility of slavery or human trafficking when looking across our business and supply chains. QS facilitates and encourages knowledge sharing with its staff on such issues and is looking at delivering targeted training programmes for employees whose job function involves making buying decisions.
5. Our future actions
In addition to the actions we have already taken to adhere to the Act, we aim to:
- Continue to improve our training and awareness of the Act within procurement and the wider organisation.
- Continue to discuss the Act with our suppliers, and ensure they take proportionate and appropriate action to eradicate Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking in their supply chains.
- Develop a Sustainable Procurement Policy which contains requirements for organisations to reduce the risks of Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking through supply chains.
- Review our standard terms and conditions for provision of goods and services to ensure they contain robust clauses in relation to Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking.
6. Review and approval
This statement is made pursuant to section 54(1) of the Modern Slavery Act 2015 and is reviewed annually. It was approved by the QS Quacquarelli Symonds Ltd Board.
Signed for and on behalf of the QS Quacquarelli Symonds Ltd Board by
NAME: Nunzio Quacquarelli
TITLE: Group CEO